Saturday, April 23, 2005

Overheard

We're in Bed, Bath & Beyond today (DON'T say anything!). I'm looking at their wall clocks because in my advancing years I've discovered that the pale blue LEDs of the VCR don't quite cut it anymore. Along come two college-age girls. I don't really pay much attention to what they're saying until I hear, "I don't know. I don't think I'm ready for a clock." The utterance slithered into my ear, surrounded by brain, and began choking the life out of it.

At
what
POINT
in anyone's life are they not "ready" for a clock? Time is one of the basic elements of our universe. Buying a clock isn't one of those major, life-altering decisions, folks. It's a double-A battery, a flake of quartz, some cheap plastic gears, and two sticks of differing lengths encased in a flimsy plastic housing. You're ready for that. Maybe not a Rolex. Maybe not a GOOD clock that's accurate and won't have to be reset every week. Maybe not anything made primarily of non-synthetic materials. But you're ready for the crap they sell at B,B & B.

2 Comments:

Blogger OtherMichael said...

That's not a clock.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Olivander said...

Does a buddha have clock nature?

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home